This is such a great idea, and you can make whatever scent you would like! It’s super easy! Have fun with it! Enjoy!
What you need:
- 3-4 jars, capable of holding 1/2-cup of fluid each (this site used 4 baby food jars which hold 1/2 cup of mixture)
- Food Coloring
- Essential Oil or Room Fragrance drops
- 2 cups of water, divided into two 1 cup amounts
- 4 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- Kitchen equipment: whisk, a pan to boil water, funnel, and spoons
What to do:
- Pour a few drops of food coloring into each jar.
- Pour 1 teaspoon (minimum) of essential oil into each jar. The more you pour, the stronger the scent.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a rapid boil.
- Add all 4 of the gelatin to the water and whisk until fully dissolved (about 1 minute).
- Add the other cup of water to the pan and the salt. Stir to dissolve the salt.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Pour the mixture into the jars within a couple of minutes of removing from the heat.
- Use a funnel to pour an equal amount into each jar.
- Stir the mixture quickly before it solidifies.
- Let cool and solidify for at least 24 hours. The gel air freshener should last between 4-6 weeks and you can do it again!