Pasta is a common dish in most households due to its affordability and versatility. It’s normally very easy to make and very rich in nutrients. Whole wheat pasta is rich in carbohydrates and high fiber content giving the body energy and providing healthy digestion. Pasta is also rich in vitamins and minerals like selenium which produces antioxidant enzymes. So look over these and choose which one you want to make tonight with a bottle of wine. Enjoy.
1. Lemon Basil Pasta
This is a very tasty dish that is easy to prepare and can serve as a main dish. It comprises a complete balanced meal with tasty ingredients.
2-4 ounces whole wheat penne
1/4 cup chopped or cut zucchini
1/4 cup canned white beans drained
1/4 cup lemon, juiced
1 ounce cut or chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoon parmesan cheese
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Boil pasta and drain then toss with remaining ingredients.
2. Pepe Pasta
Apart from the fair price, Pepe pasta is very delicious, simple and easy make. Pepe pasta mixes so well with other ingredients without becoming stiff making it a very sweat and easy to prepare meal.
1/2 pound spaghetti
1 cup freshly ground pecorino Romano cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
1 teaspoonful coarsely ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water
- Drain the water preserving ½ cup of the cooking water
- In a separate small bowl combine the cheese with the cooked pasta
- Add 6 tablespoons of the reserved cooking water and mix accordingly
- Transfer pasta to warming bowl then season with salt
- Sprinkle the ground pepper and add 2 tablespoons of cooking water.
- Toss until creamy sauce forms
3. Chicken Pesto Pasta
Pesto pasta is an easy and quick dish to prepare. A combination of Pesto pasta and chicken produces a mouthwatering dish available in less than 30 minutes.
3 tablespoons butter
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast halves cut into cubes
1 can of cream of chicken soup warmed
1/4 cup basil pesto
1/4 cup milk
7 ounces farfalle pasta cooked and drained
- Heat the butter in a 10- inch skillet and heat to a boil. Cook for approximately 5 minutes and check if the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the pasta and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling.
4. Fusilli Pasta with Spinach
Fusilli Pasta does not only look tasty and appealing but it is such a thrill to prepare. It blends so well with a mixture of spinach making a delicious and yummy meal.
1 lb fusilli pasta
1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic clove minced
1 bag of fresh spinach, shredded or chopped
7 ounces cherry tomatoes, cut
1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
1 cup grated parmesan
1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Add pasta to a large pot of boiling salty water
- Allow to cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until tender but firm to bite
- Drain Pasta preserving ½ cup of the drained water
- In a large heavy skillet warm olive oil over medium-high heat
- Add garlic and cook and cook until fragrant
- Add spinach and tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes
- Add pasta and toss. Add cheese, salt, pepper and pasta cooking liquid and stir to combine
5. Fettuccine Boscaiola
This is a tasty easy to make Italian pasta dish. A mixture of mushroom and Fettuccine Boscaiola is such a delicious dish. Fettuccine boscaiola blends well with chicken, bacon and mushroom.
300g dried curly fettuccine pasta
250 rind less bacon rashers, thinly sliced, if wanted
400g cup mushrooms thinly sliced
4 shallots, ends trimmed thinly sliced
425ml pouring cream
30g (1/3 cup) shredded parmesan
30g (1/3 cup) shredded Romano
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of salted water until al dente then drain.
- Cook the bacon in a large non stick frying pan over medium heat stirring often for about 4 minutes until golden then transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Heat the butter in the frying pan, add the mushroom and cook stirring often until tender
- Add the pale side of the shallot and stir to combine. Stir in the bacon and cream
Simmer until the mixture thickens
- Add parmesan and Romano and stir until well combined
- Add pasta and the green section of the shallot to the sauce, season with salt and pepper and season until well combined and serve.
6. Pasta with butter nut squash
Butternut squash is quite delicious and when mixed with pasta it brings that appetizing look that is quite mouthwatering nutritious as well. It’s also an easy to prepare meal involving very few ingredients.
200g butternut squash peeled and diced
3 tablespoon olive oil
350g conchiglie pasta
1 garlic clove crushed
½ red chili deseeded and finely chopped
7 sage leaves
150ml single cream
25g parmesan grated plus extra to serve
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Toss the squash in a little oil, season in salt and pepper and roast until soft.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool for a few minutes
- Cook the pasta until tender, drain and return to pan
- In a frying pan gently fry garlic, chili and sage for about 3 minutes
- Put the butter nut once it has cooled into a blender then add cream, parmesan, garlic, sage leaves, Pepper and salt
- Blend it all to course puree adding 2 tablespoons water if looking thick
- Put the butter nut mixture into pasta pan and mix well, allowing the sauce to coat pasta
- Serve with plenty of parmesan
7. Sweet Pea and Tuna Salad
This is one of the easy pasta dishes to make. Requires very little time in preparation and is very delicious and well rounded nutritious meal. Sweet pea and tuna salad is quite refreshing especially if taken during warm weather.
14 oz bow tie pasta
4 oz can chunk light tuna in water
1 small lemon juiced
½ cup diced onion
½ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground black pepper
¾ cup light mayonnaise
2 cups frozen sweet peas
- In a large pan cook bow tie pasta in boiling salted water until tender then drain water
- As pasta is draining and cooling combine the rest of the ingredients (peas, tuna, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper) adjust the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
- Stir the pasta into the pea mixture until well coated
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
8. Pasta Carbonara
This is one of the pasta dishes that are very easy to make and ready within 25 minutes. Pasto carbonara requires very few ingredients making it less costly while very delicious.
1 lb spaghetti
3 strips bacon diced, if wanted
4 egg yolks
1 cup grated parmesan
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup fresh parsley chopped
- Cook pasta according to directions
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat
- Transfer to a paper towel and retain the drippings
- In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks and add two teaspoons of drippings
- Add drained pasta and parmesan to the yolk mixture and toss to combine
- Add salt, pepper, parsley and bacon and serve immediately
9. Linguine Marvini
It best suits that day when the budget is just tight and a meal has to be prepared in spite of the budget. Linguine marvini is a nice, easy to make and very fair cost wise. Its
1 pound thin linguine
4 tablespoons olive oil
20 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
½ cup butter
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
7 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan
Several sprigs of fresh basil
- Cook the pasta according to directions
- Heat oil over in a large saucepan over medium heat
- Add garlic and sauté until golden brown
- Reduce heat to low and stir in butter, lemon juice, salt pepper and three tablespoons of parmesan
- Remove heat then add basil, toast the warm pasta with the sauce then sprinkle with the remaining parmesan.
10. Ravioli with Roasted Zucchini
This is one dish that you are likely to find yourself making more often. It’s not only easy to make but very delicious and blends so well with the ingredients leaving such a sweet taste in the mouth.
5 small zucchini, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 cloves garlic crushed
2/3 cup grated parmesan
¼ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 pound cheese ravioli
3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and place the zucchini in a single layer
- Drizzle with oil then top with crushed red pepper, garlic, 3 tablespoons of parmesan pepper and ½ teaspoon salt
- Roast Zucchini for 20 minutes tossing half way through until tender and golden brown
- Add Ravioli and remaining salt to boiling water, stirring frequently to prevent from sticking
- Cook ravioli for three minutes after they begin to float then drain and place in a large bowl.
- Toss the ravioli gently with roasted zucchini, half the parsley and half the remaining parmesan
- Serve immediately with the remaining parsley and parmesan